Sunday, March 9, 2008

Wednesday Night Lenten Experience

I thought the evening could not have been any better...the
confirmation families co-hosting the Lenten Supper worked together
smoothly...
6 of 7 confirmation kids actively helped with the supper! Then we
moved upstairs to the sanctuary for the Lenten Service and somehow,
all the hymns requested during the Hymn Request were favorites of mine
- yet requested by others!

The cantor (a new member!) sang beautifully - the pianist was splendid
- the cadence and even the lighting were all just right. (lighting is
an issue many times for us!)

The lay member (an introverted patent attorney) who shared his faith
story (This I Believe...) touched our hearts with his message. The two
confirmation kids who read the Epistle & the Prayers spoke better than
I've ever heard them - clearly enunciated and spoke into the mic.
(Even the "over 70" crowd was smiling & could hear & understand them!)

The Spirit was so strong and so alive in this night that, in my
estimation, the experience could not have been any better.

Until she (a new member) called my name - in a desperation sounding
voice - when we were all chatting after the service. When I started
toward her, she rushed up and gushed out "my brother is hemorrhaging
and they think this is it - they took him from the nursing home to the
hospital and I'm waiting to hear now".

Not surprisingly, what followed was not of my doing but a God-thing -
definitely Spirit driven. I gathered those remaining (~15) in the
sanctuary and called a prayer circle around her. This was new to most
of those present so I found myself explaining a little before we began
praying. Then we began...one prayer after another and then silence and
then more prayers and silence. When we closed the prayers, everyone
stood there, in the center of the aisle of the sanctuary still holding
hands or arms and just embraced each other.

I believe this is what ministry is about - being open to acting on the
guidance of the Spirit. Offering new ways of sharing community with
one another. Caring & supporting those in our community - no matter
how new they are to the community - and embracing them and enveloping
them into our community.

Thanks be to God for opening my eyes & my heart to this experience.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love to hear how God works and it was very evident in the whole evening. Praise His Glorious Name.